To be eligible for CHP funding, hatcheries must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Be operated by community volunteers;
• Raising public fish for public waters; and,
• Have valid MNRF approvals (e.g. aquaculture licence, licence to stock fish, and licence to collect fish or gametes for aquaculture purposes).
CHP Funding is limited to community hatchery annual operating expenses only. If incurred expenses are directly linked to hatchery operations, they will be eligible for reimbursement. The only exceptions are:
Paid staff (not eligible)– Paid staff refers to hatcheries paying an individual(s) to complete regular community hatchery operational tasks. Please note that payment to a tradesperson or a specialist to conduct work that volunteers are unable to complete, IS eligible for funding (i.e. back hoe operator, electrician, HVAC, plumber, consultant, or general contractor).
Personal expenses (not eligible)– this refers to those expenses that are incurred by volunteers while carrying out regular volunteer duties (i.e. meals and traveling to and from the hatchery).
Examples of eligible expenses
Note: Eligible expenses are not limited to the list below
• Fish feed
• Pond fertilizer
• Disinfection or water treatment chemicals
• General cleaning or hatchery supplies
• Maintenance expenses
• Licencing or Permitting fees
• Hydro and Utilities
• Fuel to operate hatchery equipment
• Volunteer equipment or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Water monitoring/testing equipment
• Equipment rentals
• Property expenses (rent/lease/taxes)
• Water, Effluent, or Sediment testing
How to apply
Community hatcheries can access an application form by following the link below.
Option #1 – Hand Written Applications: Hand written applications can be submitted by mail, fax, or email to the CHP Coordinator.
Option #2 – Electronic Applications (PDF Form): Electronic applications can be submitted by mail, fax, or email to the CHP Coordinator.
Community Hatchery Program Coordinator
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
PO Box 2800
4601 Guthrie Drive
Peterborough, ON K9J 8L5
Phone: 705-748-6324 Ext. 247
Want to volunteer?
Use the map below to locate a hatchery near you (click on the fish icon for hatchery details)
Note: These are just relative locations of each hatchery. To obtain actual locations please contact community hatcheries directly.
If the contact information is incomplete for any hatchery that you would like to contact, please contact the Community Hatchery Program Coordinator.